Oregon U. "gibba"

From: Howard J. Wu L.ac (mrwu@cello.qnet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 12:24:27 PDT

Date:          Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:24:27 +0000
From: <mrwu@cello.qnet.com>(Howard J. Wu L.ac)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Oregon U. "gibba"

Hi everyone!

I've been growing an U. gibba in my aquariums that I originally found in
Sandy, Oregon (just outside of Portland) for three years now. I've given
this out to many people, both CP lovers and aquarist. Well I just this
bloom for me for the first time in a neglected container by a window
sill (1/2 gal tub 5" deep no peat, just tapwater.) The yellow flower had
a very tiny lower lip, despite the name "gibba" and was wondering if I
should be calling this U. minor, also known to be a west coast plant.
    Leaves are round, not flat with two spike leaves coming off the
stolon at regular intervals. Traps typically midway off the leaf
sometimes are on short 1mm stalks, sometimes not. Then I've seen this
plant looking differently under a great variety of indoor conditions.
Utricularia taxomony can be such a joke given a choice I'd lump alot of
these "species" together as if these plant really care what us humans
want to call them.
             = Howard J. Wu. L.ac =
             = Bishop, CA =
             = mrwu@qnet.com =