cooling tanks

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 10:26:48 PDT

Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:26:48 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cooling tanks

  Hi Everbody!,

  Sorry to sound like Dr. Riveria from "The Simpsons." Good input on cooling
tanks. I see a lot of people think the same. I had the idea of using frozen
pop bottles to put in the tanks everynight and refreeze them during the day.
I had this idea a year ago and mentioned it to Jeff Shafer(Hi Jeff) at one of
our Rocky Mnt CP meetings, and he had already done that with success in his
earlier years. I think he suggested those "blue ice" packs for medical
purposes(is that right, Jeff?), similar to what Peter suggested with the
"Igloo" packs. With the packs, you could have a layer of water in the tank,
with the plants sitting above the water(eggcrate. inverted saucer or
pot,ect), and use something made out of a coathanger to hang the pack on the
sides and touch the water. That should cool the tank down sufficiently.
  What I was searching for is a "lazy' way for keeping these plants.
Unfortunately, I don't trust myself to do that on a daily basis. I may have
to bite down and try that.
  I should experiment with the temperatures. Where do you get those
thermometers that measure the high and low of the day? It might be worth it
to record some data and see what happens. This could be helpful to people
who grow other plants like Helios and cool loving Drosera(montane S.
American) as well as some Pinguicula.
  Thanks again for the responses.

  Regards,

  Joe