Thanks for coolimg and temperature reading info

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 05:20:42 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:20:42 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Thanks for coolimg and temperature reading info

  Thanks Michael and Kit,

  This is more on target to what I was looking for.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska

>To add to Peters topic on portable cooling devices. I am using a Igloo cool
>mate 36, which is basically a ice chest with a small portable electric heat
>pump that lowers the temp inside some 30 degrees from air temperature. You
>have to be careful not to get the inside of the mini refrigerator to wet (no
>standing water). it's interior is all white plastic. You can remove the
>top of the ice chest and place Plexiglas over it. I use 4 - 48 inch tubes
>on a 18 hr cycle. The unit is set on a timer to run at night. Even with
>out a top it does lower the temperature inside to 25 degrees lower than the
>air. This unit cost about $100.00 and can be purchased at a Walmart. It
>has proven very successful for me with N. rajah and Heliamphora in reducing
>maintenance and growth of the plants in our hot humid climate. Also when
>using those re freezeable ice blocks they last about 24 hrs between
>replacement in a ice chest, and while they become a chore do work well.
>Take care all,
>~ Mike
>St. Petersburg, Florida USA

<snip>
> I should experiment with the temperatures. Where do you get those
>thermometers that measure the high and low of the day? It might be worth it
>to record some data and see what happens.

I just got one of these from Home Harvest at
<http://www.homeharvest.com>. It was a little under $40; it measures
indoor humidity, indoor & outdoor temp, and, being a glorified LCD
clock, time as well. I know it measures min & max temps & I think it
measures min & max humidity, but I could be wrong about the latter.
Specifically, it can be found at
<http://www.homeharvest.com/environmentalmonitoring.htm>.