Re: Outdoor Bog Insulation

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 08:22:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:22:04 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor Bog Insulation

Frank Breil <Frank.Breil@brio.com> wrote:

> I am in Montreal and built my first outdoor bog this summer. I have
>insulated the inner walls and plan to cover with burlap and some type of
>mulch this fall/winter. I have read that pine needles are a good mulch but
>cannot find them. I believe I need something acidic and that will allow
the
>soil mix to breath to avoid rot. My local nursery has cedar bark and cedar
>mulch. Are these acceptable substitutes? Would appreciate suggestions.

I'd suggest looking around your neighborhood for pine trees. I've found
pines planted at the church nearby, the grocery store, and a park, as well
as several neighbors. The best place was the park because they don't mow
them up as regularly and it was easy to rake up a large quantity. Best of
all, it's free. Everyone looks at you like you're weird (it's not every day
you see someone raking up pine needles in the park!) and you have to watch
out for the occasional piece of dog poop, but if you work fast you can
minimize the embarrasment (what we'll do for our plants!). Just be careful
not to get spruce needles, which are shorter, stiffer, and much sharper. I
don't know if spruce needles are acid, but they'd surely be much more
difficult to handle (realizing you'll have to remove them again in the
Spring).

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA