Nepenthes fountain

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 11:28:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:28:43 -0700
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes fountain

I was recently in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and found a huge fountain with
2-meter tall stylized Nepenthes rafflesiana pitchers. The fountain was
located in a small park at a major downtown street intersection. Live N.
gracilis plants were growing on the shaded side of the fountain. Photos
of this fountain can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Also, one of the exhibitors (TropBio) at the forestry conference that I
attended was selling tissue cultured N. gracilis and N. rafflesiana in
small jars that contained 5 plants for RM 5.00 (US$1.32). Each plant was
about 4 cm tall with about 8 leaves and pitchers. I don't know whether
TropBio ships overseas, but they have a number of CP that they tissue
culture. See http://www.tropbio.com.my/TRpitcher.html

Bob Ziemer