Re: Late Flowers

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 10:43:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:43:19 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Late Flowers

Hi,

>> The summer/autumn flowers are just as beautiful as the spring flowers, and
>it
>> doesn't seem to harm the plant.
>
>Here in the UK we know what is coming in the next 6 weeks or so - bedtime
>for North Carolina, U.S.A. plants :-{
>We wouold never see these plants flower, they would just sap the plant and
>die.
>My flavas are already producing winter leaves - oddly the only ones still
>racing away are the leuco's.

This is quite normal - at least it is for UK grown plants!

Species such as S. flava will be entering dormancy within the next month
or so. S. leucophylla, S. alata and S. rubra tend to produce a second
flush of pitchers at this time of year. The later pitchers tend to be
much larger and stockier (and generally more impressive IMO) than those
produced in the spring/summer period.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk