Darlingtonia Fen

From: Ken Cusson (kenc@1stbaptist.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 08:42:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:42:51 -0700
From: "Ken Cusson" <kenc@1stbaptist.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia Fen

Hi everyone!

It has been a while since I "talked" in this forum, but I have not
stopped reading, with great interest, the many threads of
discussion.

I am still growing CP (primarily Sarracenia, a couple of Nepenthes
and some Drosera, as well as the always present VFT) outside, in the
California Central Coast area. They all suffered a little from
neglect in the last few months (and I lost a number of plants during
a very bad winter a year ago), but I have recently found some new
"encouragement" to jump into the fray once again.

While on a family vacation in Oregon, I had the opportunity to see a
beautiful fen of Darlingtonia growing vigorously just outside of
Selma. The fen was very accessible, somewhat protected, leaf stalks
were from 1-2 feet tall and numerous flowers. It was fascinating to
see the plants growing wild (I have to admit I was a bit giddy -- my
daughters thought Dad had finally flipped out!) and the
confirmation of all the descriptions I had read of what their
natural environment looked like was very satisfying.

I know many of you have had plenty of opportunities to see CP in the
wild, but this was my first chance (after 30 years of tinkering with
them!). At least my wife understood when I said that I could
finally die happy! (Not too soon, however!)

If anyone is interested in the location of the fen, email me,
convince me that you are not interested in wild collection and I
will give you directions.

Keep growing!

Ken Cusson k.cusson@att.net

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]

[JPEG or GIF file tech.gif deleted by listprocessor]