Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

From: David Anders (david_anders@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 19:57:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 02:57:06 GMT
From: "David Anders" <david_anders@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

In the past week I have:

1) a spider taking up residence in my newly opened S. Leucophylla pitcher.
Its spun a web deep in, I cant get it out, and it appears to be able to move
freely, eating the insect the plant lured (wrapping it in silk to boot). I
cant get it out, it just retreats deeper.

2) a bigger spider moved into one of the pitchers in my S. Purpurea
venosa. I evicted him

3) another smaller jumping spider built a web overing in another pitcher
of my S. Purp. Venosa

Is this common? What do you do to discourage this?
To add insult to injury another spider built a web from my Sundews flower
stalk to the S. Purp Venosa.