Re: Quakes and Carnivores

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 11:25:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:25:39 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Quakes and Carnivores

Howdy folks, Peter here at shakey California Carnivores: As to the
discussion on non-carnivorous carnivores, when Barry and I were up in Gasquet
last year, we cut open some Darlingtonia pitchers and in every one we found
tiny white worm larvae living in the small amount of insect debris. The
insects looked like black wet sawdust. I remember back in the 1980s there
was a paper published in a California science magazine that Joe Mazrimas gave
me, and the botanist writer found several creatures, from microscopic to
larvae size, living in the pitchers and pre-digesting the insects caught
there, for the plant. The magazine is somewhere in my old files, which I'll
try to find, but it may take months.
     The Napa earthquake was less than 30 miles from my home and the nursery,
but no damage. Last year's Bolinas quake knocked off Sarracenia from my deck
railing. This year I kept all the plants on the deck itself. The Napa quake
woke me and we were really rocking for awhile. Oh fun. I almost had a heart
attack. Two customers called yesterday and said their terrariums look like
they went through a food processor.
      Th-th-th-th-that's all folks.