Re: Mulch and spiders

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 07:45:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:45:25 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mulch and spiders

Jack Milln wrote:
>i live in the south of england and i have an outside bog garden containing
-
>s. purpurea purpurea, s. purpurea venosa, s. redeii, s. psitticina (i dont
>know if it will survive), dionea muscipula, d. filiformis filiformis, d.
>intermedia and d. rotundifolia. i planted it all up in about march so this
>was my first year and i havent had to worry about its winter requirements
>yet. ive been told that pine needles are a good mulch because they dont rot

>that quickly and they allow the things underneath to breath a bit. but,
when
>should i think about applying the mulch. maybe a few of you from england
can
>help. thank you very much,

I'm not in England, but maybe I can help. I usually wait till it starts to
get pretty cold consistently before I cover over my bog, usually around the
middle of November. That way the plants are certainly dormant. You may not
even need to mulch your bog, though. As I understand it, the main reason is
to prevent thawing and extreme temperatures from affecting your plants and
to protect them from drying winds. Another thing to note, since my bog is
located under the rain gutter, I attach one of those flexible plastic
extension to the rain gutter so there won't be any water entering the bog
and allows it to dry out a bit.

And, I also have spiders taking up residence in my Sarrs. The only plant
I've had which consistently catches spiders is a VFT.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA