Azolla & CP

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 05:41:26 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:41:26 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Azolla & CP

Hello Dean & List
I have grown Azolla caroliniana as a companion plant to Heliamphora,
Sarracenia, and Nepenthes. This fern grows well with Sphagnum moss
and I have read it is symbiotic with Cyanobacteria which produce usable
nitrogen for rice in Asia. I have found no ill effect from having it on the
surface
of potting media. It can be invasive if grown in aquatic conditions. I would
not grow it with any one of a kind aquatic Utricularia for example.
Sarracenia
seem to like drier conditions than this species of Azolla, so it tends to
die out
with them. I haven't found it to be invasive in terrestrial conditions and
it does look
beautiful when healthy.
Take care,
Steven Stewart