Re: Powdery mildew on Cephalotus?

From: Mark Bachelor (Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 16:21:54 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:21:54 +1000
From: "Mark Bachelor" <Mark.Bachelor@mggsmail.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Powdery mildew on Cephalotus?

Sounds like it could be powdery mildew. I have learnt the hard way, and
with help from others such as Charles B. that you have to be careful not
let them get too wet for too long or they will rot. The mildew attacks
the non-carnivorous leaves and then spreads to the crown of the plant
killing it off and so you get no new growth until it is dealt with.
Plants let dry out will recover, but it can reduce a large plant to a
small struggling specimen that takes years to regain its original size.
So spray for mould, let the potting mix dry out before re-watering, and
increase air circulation. A good dose of direct sunshine also helps
kill mildew, but not so much as to burn your plants.

--------------------------
Hi Everyone--

I have a large clump of Cephalotus growing on my balcony in the fog belt
of San Francisco. The summer temps have been on the mild to cool side
for the most part. I've noticed over the past few weeks that a powdery
residue on the leaves has spread from leaf to leaf (none on the pitcher
leaves.) For a while, they were infested with scale, but after a
treatment of Orthene, the scale has disappeared. I mention this because
the white fluff looks like the residue that scale leaves. However, the
residue is on parts of the leaves that had no scale, which seemed to
favor the petioles. The fluff is on the topsides of the vegetative leaf
blades. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be, and how to
treat it?

Gary

Regards

Mark T. Bachelor Biology Technician Melbourne Girls Grammar School
Voice: +61 (03) 9862 9200 86 Anderson Street Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
South Yarra, 3141 Victoria, Australia

Lab Techs' Branch of STAV, South Yarra Regional Rep.