Re: Aphid problem

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 06:31:04 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:31:04 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aphid problem

Rick,
One of the easiest ways to deal with pests on cp's is to flood the
plant... submerge the entire plant, pot and all, in a deep container of
rain or distilled water, and let it sit for 24 hours. This should not harm
your Drosera, as they are adapted to occassional flooding, but it
should kill of MOST of your aphids. Be sure that if they float up to the
surface of the water, remove them before pulling the pot out
(otherwise they might just jump back on the plant as you pull it up).
I'm sure some aphids will survive somehow, so you'll still need to
keep your eye out and repeat as needed, but it will kill the majority of
the pests on your plants. I used this method this summer on all our
Sarracenia to fight against a mealy bug infestation. Great fun to watch
the suckers float to the surface, "popping" as they reach it. I have also
used it on my Drosera capensis at home for aphids.

Good luck,
Susan

> I have found an unfortunately healthy colony of aphids on several of
> my Drosera Capenses and Filiformis plants. I suspect that these
> little "suckers" are lurking elsewhere. What can I use to get rid of
> these things that will not harm the plant... I don't care if the
> existing leaves are affected if normal growth will resume.

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis MO 63166-0299