Re: Utricularia intermedia

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 09:17:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:17:17 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utricularia intermedia

Hi Nigel,

>Hi Chris,
>
>Does this observation cover U minor? My plants somehow manage to
>attach themselves to the side of the aquarium so if the water level
>drops appreciably they get stranded and die.

   Yes, this does cover U.minor, which is also common in these areas.
My aquatic Utrics all have the same nasty habit that you describe,
mainly they just get stuck by the thin mucous coating to the
aquarium wall. Aquatic plants tend to have a higher content of
starch in my experience (drying them out can for herbarium specimens
can take forever!).

   In the wild, I have seen some Utrics stranded on shore from
dropping water levels, but this is usually because they're wrapped
around emergent vegetation, rocks, twigs, etc. For the most part,
they stay in the water due to wind and wave action, something that
tends to be limited in aquaria ;-)!

Regards,

Chris

--