Re:Drosera underwater

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 19:35:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:35:06 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Drosera underwater

I'm no botanist, but I have some D. intermedia & have observed their
interaction with water over the course of the Summer. The sticky
traps, at least on my plants, do not work under water. Rain washes
the sticky stuff off of the leaves. Additionally, the only (knock
wood) plant in my collection that's had aphids is the D. intermedia
that shares a pot with my S. purpurea venosa. I removed it from the
pot & submerged it for a few days to kill the aphids the first time
it got infested & it was quite dewless after its bath. The good news
is, even in the low-light environs of my back yard, the dew is back
in a matter of hours.

-Kit

--

Kit Halsted Network Administrator, Blue Dingo/GB