Sarracenia hybrid

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 21:38:23 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:38:23 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia hybrid

Hi guys,

a) I have an unnamed Sarracenia hybrid with clear S. leucophylla ancestry.
I've been trying to work out what the other parent is. Thing is, pitchers
have hoods with ruffled edges (as in leuc.), but the shape of the curve of
the lid is as in alata or rubra. I was leaning towards alata, until a
flower opened. This is huge, scented and dark maroon red.
This leads me to think it may be straight leucophylla x rubra.

There is no visible influence from a low growing species, or minor.

Any thoughts on this?

b) I will soon be trying to establish some tuberous Drosera in vitro. I
have some GA3 (Giberellic acid), and would like to know what protocols
people have used to break dormancy in these. Should I apply GA to the TC
medium (it might degrade on autoclaving), or soak the seeds in it prior to
disinfestation, or into a sterile solution after disinfestation?

last) If anyone in Australia has Ping. plants or leaf cuttings they are
willing to sell or give away toa good home :), I'd like to hear from them.

Cheers!

Miguel de Salas
mailto:mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au

 School of Plant Science,