Re: Beetles eating plants

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 08:08:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:08:00 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Beetles eating plants

Hi Kevin,

>On a more serious note, my second suspect in the latest attack on my
>Nepenthes is a pea size black beetle. Last year, I followed chew marks on
>
>I believe these beetles burrow into the potting mix when they're not
>feeding. So bringing the pot in out of the garden doesn't help.

   Sounds like a similar situation I had earlier this year with
weevils. You end up seeing the damage (chewed pitchers), but
rarely the culprit, unless it got caught. Found out that my pest
came out at night to feed, and was quite easy to eradicate with
a flashlight and a pair of tweezers. Perhaps your beasties are
doing the same? Just a thought.

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb