Hello and introduction

From: Brian Kubicki (glass_frog_cr@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 15:10:41 PDT

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Kubicki <glass_frog_cr@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hello and introduction

Hello everyone,

My name is Brian Kubicki, I am new to this list. I am
a biology student in Costa Rica. My main area of
research and work is with herpetology, more
specifically with the neotropical family of glass
frogs Centrolenidae, poison frogs of the family
Dendrobatidae, and subfamily of Hylidae,
Phyllomedusinae. My research includes such things as
taxonomy, and natural history, but I am also quite
involved in conservation in the species through
captive breeding.

Other areas I have been involved with research and
work is with the order of stony corals Scleractinia,
and a little with miniature orchids, and bromeliads,
and TC.

I got interested in CPs about six months ago, and my
main area of interest is with the genus Drosera,
especially neotropical species and varieties. I am
also interested in the various species of pygmy
Drosera aswell. I currently am working with around 50
species and hybrids of the following genera;

Darlingtonia
Dionaea
Drosera
Pinguicula
Utricularia
Nepenthes
Sarracenia

CPs are pretty difficult to obtain here in CR, most of
my specimens have been imported. Here in CR the only
real genus of native CP is Utricularia, with mostly
epiphytic species, and a few acuatics. Two years ago
a very small population of Drosera capillaris was
supposedly found in a unspecific location near the
panamanian border. An article was written in Revista
de Biologi'a Tropical about the plants, but no useful
location information was provided with the article,
only a general area. Actually the general area
information was in Parque Internacional La Amistad at
750m on the Pacific Drainage. If anyone is more
interested in this article I would be happy to drop a
copy in the mail, it is in Spanish.

I live in San Jose, at an elevation of around 1200m.
My climate here is lower montane with yearly average
temps more or less consistent throughout the year.
The lows typically reach around 15degC in the evening
hours and may rise to 30degC during the day. We have
two "Seasons" here in San Jose, the rainy season and
dry season. The rainy season is typically from
May-Dec, and during this time it typically rains
everyday, actually it is rainy pretty good as I am
writting this.

I grow my plants both in the house, and in my back
yard. My back yard is pretty much only home to two
Nepenthes plants, N. bicalcarata, and N.
madagascariensis. Actually I have had my N.
madagascariensis for nearly two years growing in my
patio, and it is doing excellent, with pitchers nearly
17cms tall, and 5 cms in diameter. My N. bicalcarata
has only been in my possession, actually CR, for a
couple of months and is still in the adjusting stage,
but sending up news leaves and developing lower
pitchers.

In my house I grow my Sarracenia, Dionaea, D.
capensis, D. binata multifida extrema, and a few
others in a large eastern window, all the plants are
doing really well. The majority of my other plants,
mainly Drosera, a few Pinguicula, and Utricularia, I
grow inside a large specialized terrarium I built.
This "terrarium" has the following dimensions, 120cms
long x 40 cms tall x 55cms from front to back. I have
all the sides covered in aluminum foil to increase
available light. The enclosure is illuminated by 6
40watt flor. tubes. The access to the enclosure is
through the sliding glass doors on the front. The top
is a solid glass plate, not removable. I have built a
type of double level light diffuser stand, the type of
light diffuser which is used in many offices and such,
white with small square openings. The upper level
typically receives between 12,000 to 14,000 lux, and
the lower level receives around 7000-10,000 lux. The
temp range is from about 20degC in the evening-28degC in
the afternoon. The humidity is typically between
70%-95%R.H. I keep each of the plants in individual
pots, and individual round little trays. The glass
doors are always slightly open, about 2-3cms at each
end to allow some air movement, and additional
humidity is provided by a small tub beneath the table
structure filled with R/O DI water and a small bubble
stick used for aquariums. I use R/O DI water for my
plants. The photoperiod is current 16 hours, from
600hrs-2200hrs.

Anyways, that is a little introduction to myself and
my CP, sorry if it was a little long ;(

I am very interested in communicating with anyone who
is working with Drosera species, especially from
Central and South America. Unfortunely the only
neotropical species I am currently working with is D.
communis at the moment, but would love to obtains more
species, by seeds, or invitro specimens. If anyone
out there knows of any sources for especially seeds of
neotropical species please let me know. For more
cooler growing species I have access to a farm which
is nearly 2000m in elevation, this area is cool, and
very humid. I am interested in trying some of the
cooler S. American species there if I can get ahold of
some.

If anyone has any further questions about my plants,
or possibly the frogs I am working with, I would be
happy to share more...

I am looking forward to joining this list with so many
experienced and knowledgeable people.

Brian Kubicki
Escuela de Biologi'a
Universidad Latina