Nepenthes maxima flowers

From: Robin Dauber (rdauber@condor.depaul.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 16:10:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:10:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: Robin Dauber <rdauber@condor.depaul.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes maxima flowers

Hello everyone,

I have a maxima that started sending up a flower stalk a few days ago. They
haven't opened and I don't know the sex of the plant. This is my first
Nepenthes flowering, and I need advice.

How long should the stalk take to mature? The plant is hanging outside off a
south facing porch. I don't want to move it and risk aborting the buds, but
am racing the fast approaching Chicago winter. Temperatures now are about
50F for a low at night, but are expected to reach 30F by weekend.

Which brings me to my second question...barring flowers, how low can a
maxima withstand?

If I get pollen, does anyone want it? What's the best way to collect it?

If I need pollen, does anyone have any? If I can't find maxima, I have
nothing against hybrids. Are they hard to pollinate?

No, I have no intention of cutting off the stalk, so don't even suggest it.
This plant can rest all winter.

See you,
John in Chicago