S. x courtii

From: garkoinsf@netscape.net
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 17:50:07 PDT

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 20:50:07 -0400
From: garkoinsf@netscape.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S. x courtii

Hi everyone--

Does out there grow this naturally occuring hybrid, and can you tell me
what it traps and eats? It lacks S. psittacina's inward pointing hairs
in the lower part of the pitcher, and the curved over hood prevents rain
water from filling the traps, thus eliminating both S. psittacina's and
S. purpurea's primary trapping mechanisms. I've watched well-fed ants
climb into the bottom of the pitcher and back up with no problem
whatsoever. Out of curiosity, I dissected one pitcher and found it
completely devoid of decomposing organic matter. How does this survive
in the wild? Of those who grow this bizarre little hybrid, what do you
feed it? And how? I want to love it. Really.

Gary