Re: N. veitchii climbing trees in cultivation

From: Bruce Salmon (brucesal@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 22:54:18 PDT

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:54:18 +1300
From: "Bruce Salmon" <brucesal@xtra.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. veitchii climbing trees in cultivation

> Has anyone out there ever grown N. veitchii in such a way as to allow it
> to climb up a tree like it can in nature? I've got a small N. veitchii
> which is just now producing mature pitchers and I thought it might be fun
> to try to encourage this sort of growth. Any opinions on an appropriate
> tree diameter, bark texture etc.?
>
> Rich

That's exactly what I've done with mine. I attached the pot to the base of a
smooth circular wooden pole, 15cm in diameter (much like a small power
pole), with wire. When the plant reaches the pole it wraps itself around and
climbs up just as they do in the wild - there's no need to tie the stem to
the pole!

I dug the pole into the floor of the hot house and nailed it to the roof
(about 8ft high). Under my conditions it grows about a foot per year.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce Salmon
13 Rothery Road
Manurewa
Auckland 1702
New Zealand

"If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much room!"