re: Drosera Hybrids Listing

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 09:36:54 PDT

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:36:54 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Drosera Hybrids Listing

>Does anyone know if a listing exists of Drosera hybrids? If so,
>where can I obtain a copy?
>Thanks, and it's good to be getting back into CP's. It's been about
>20 years since I was last involved with them...

Welcome back Wubs,
In the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter Sept/Dec 1986 is printed Jan
Schlauer's World CP List which includes a number of well known sundew
hybrids. Jan probably has more listed now. The list in CPN is but a
fraction of what I know has been made. I hope you are not asking for a
complete list of possibilities, since such a list would be tediously long
to put it mildly. Here is just a hint for you mathematical masochists. If
there were just 10 (there are far more) sundews that could be hybridized,
here is how you would find the number of possibilites. 10! = 10 x 9 x 8 x
7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 X 1/2 = 1,814,400. The number 1/2 is multiplied
since the reciprocal crosses are figured to be the same. Please don't ask
for the print out:-) In my experiance these hybrids come and go, are
created and lost. I have made a number of hybrids myself and most I have
given away, sold, or otherwise disposed of. Hybrids you may encounter
sometime which are still being circulated are my fertile octoploid D. x
nagamotoi, D. anglica Californian X Hawaiian, D. dielsiana X nidiformis,
D. burmanii X sessilifolia, and who knows what else. These that are
fertile and produce seed are most widely spread around, but sadly, they
often become mislabelled. Collectors in Japan seem to have the greatest
number of hybrids currently in cultivation, though I doubt anyone has a
full list of everthing in cultivation. I feel it is best just to know
what can be crossed with what. Anyway, try and put a list together
yourself, I dare you, but please don't send it to me:-)
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California