Fish filter, non-sphagnum moss, & the List

From: Leon Phaby (phungi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 03:43:05 PDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:43:05 +0000
From: "Leon Phaby" <phungi@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fish filter, non-sphagnum moss, & the List

Hello good folk.
Somewhere buried in the list archives I read a note about water filters
intended for use w/aquariums. I recently found one for about $40. It
claims to be comparable to RO units, removing all minerals, salts ect from
tap water. It sounds too good to be true. I just spent far too long
scanning through the archives trying to find the original message w/ no luck
so I ask you, have any of you ever actually used one of these? Are they the
comparitevly cheap miracle they seem to be?

I just recieved my first ICPS newsletters, I'm official! This brings me to
the next question for all you Gurus. In the March newsletter (vol.29,No.1)
a Mr. Robinson claims "lawn moss" can be used as a top dressing instead of
sphagnum. Have any of you tried this? I live in an extremely foggy area of
the west coast & moss grows everywhere. I would love to just go out on my
patio & pluck some but in Savage Garden Mr. D'amato warns against using
decorative green moss. I assumed this would apply to everything but
sphagnum. Any comments?

And finally, I suspect that I am entering this list through the back door.
I found the archives on John Britnacher's (?) site. I have half heartedly
looked for another site w/out luck. Is there a "front door" to the
Listserver?

Thank you for sincerly for your time and advice.

Leon Phaby