Cool Nepenthes Rokko photo

From: Steve Klitzing (starbirdcom@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 21:17:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:17:04 PDT
From: "Steve Klitzing" <starbirdcom@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cool Nepenthes Rokko photo

Hi all:

Here is the URL for a photo of a Nepenthes Rokko that I have growing in my
greenhouse...

http://www.starbirdcom.com/nepenthes_rokko.jpg

The plant is actually greener than the photo shows, so don't be put off by
the red coloration of the digital photo. I got the plant from the U.C.
Berkeley Botanical Garden in late spring of 1999. It was then a rooted
cutting. It has only decided to pitcher in the last two months. In the
week since this photo was taken, the large lower pitcher in the bottom of
the photo, which has a closed cap, is now over 7 inches long, and has opened
its cap. And, the pitchers on all my Nepenthes are loaded with water.
Definitely a good greenhouse environment. My thanks to Peter D'Amato who
suggested I try foliar feeding, which I've been doing once a week, during
the last 3 weeks. The plant seems to absorb plenty of 25-9-9 orchid
fertilizer this way, and the dramatic growth is due to that and the cooler
fall temperatures I am experiencing. The red striping/mottling on the
pitchers is accurate in the photo, but much more vivid in person. And,
Rokko is now sending out more huge green pitchers. Just thought I would
share this with the group as this is why I like Nepenthes so much. And, for
the first time in nearly two years, a Holland Hybrid is starting to send out
tendrils and pitchers. I will post the URL when the pitchers get larger.
Thank you, UCB!

---Steve Klitzing

http://profiles.msn.com.