Re: Greenhouse question

From: R B (eklaab@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 21:29:15 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 21:29:15 PDT
From: "R B" <eklaab@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Greenhouse question

> This somewhat depends on your location and your needs. If you
experience cold, windy winters, you'll probably want to go with
a more 'robust' greenhouse ie: glass or polycarbonate. If you're
in a warmer climate in an area protected by wind, you might just
use the plastic.

I've read good things about polycarbonate. It is light, can diffuse light
and has a insulation R factor ranging from 1.54 to 1.79. I think I've ruled
out glass because it is heavier and breaks too easily. A quarter-inch glass
has a R rating of 1.13. Plastic film, though cheap, is not a very good
insulator and lasts only 2 to 3 years before it has to be replaced. One
company I came across, Farm Wholesale Greenhouses, is offering double-walled
corrugated plastic. It is cheaper than polycarbonate, diffuses light and has
a R rating of 2.5 (3.5 mm thickness) or 3.0 (5 mm thickness).

http://profiles.msn.com.