Re. P.longifolia

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 13:43:46 PDT

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:43:46 BST
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re. P.longifolia

Dear Niels,

I have grown a variety of P.longifolia subspecies for a number of years now.

>Does anyone have experience with this plant. In Savage >Garden, Peter
>says his one died when the winter arrived. Mine is producing >flowers
>at the moment and I wonder if it's going to die after flowering or if
>it >will grow on. Any help is welcome!

Like you and I (I'm in the UK) P.longifolia is European. Thus this
species flowers in spring shortly after breaking dormancy and then
becomes dormant again in late summer/autumn by forming hibernacula. If
your plant is flowering now I suspect that it is not P.longifolia and
probably not any of the other temperate hibernacla forming species.
Perhaps you can describe the appearance of your plant or better still
have some images.

In a personal mail to you I will send a couple of images of P.longifolia
to you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Loyd