Re: poor VFT

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 06:33:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:33:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: poor VFT

A VFT that turns black AND slimy is probably dead. My guess is that you
have been growing it in straight peat and the roots have rotted. VFTs can
be grown with the water level up to the growing points of the plant as long
as sphagnum moss is used as the growing medium. I've done it and I have
seen others grow their VFTs in sphagnum and deep water for extended periods
of time (several months over thew active growing season.) There is
something about staright peat plus deep water that causes many root systems
to fail due to rot. I assume there is some fungus that likes those acidic
conditions. Sphagnum moss when wetted completely will allow the VFT to grow
with high water levels for a season, but then the sphagnum needs to be
replaced for the next growing season. Just let the plant go dormant as cool
weather approaches. Then you can clean away the old sphagnum and replace it
with fresh material for the next season. Allow the plant to be just moist
during dormancy. When it begins to come out of dormancy, add water to the
surface of the sphagnum and don't let it dry out for the season. You will
get better growth if the roots are not disturbed or exposed to air during
the active growing season. Obviously, you need to use clean, pure, mineral
free water (distilled, rain, or RO).

Most of the above advice comes from Steve Stewart who grows VFTs in this
manner with great success. Thanks, Steve.

- Carl