Re: Evaporative cooling vs air conditioning

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:19:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:19:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Evaporative cooling vs air conditioning

Another factor to consider in making a purchase of cooling equipment is
that Evaporative coolers do not work well in very high humidity
environments. When the humidity is close to 100%, there is no room for
evaporation, and thus no cooling. Consequently, evaporative coolers work
well in the great American desert wher humidity is at 30% but they do not
provide much cooling in coastal Florida when humidity levels are over 90%.

An air conditioner will work in any humidity level, but it does tend to
remove water vapor from the air )ie the air becomes drier.).
- Carl