Re: D. uniflora Flowered

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 17:29:50 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:29:50 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. uniflora Flowered

Dear Ivan,

> Aldrovanda is the closest relative to Dionaea and so I
> think that the ancestor of Dionaea may also have been a pentamerous
> sundew. I'm thinking now that since D. uniflora is the most primative
> sundew in the Americas and is also pentamerous, then maybe this of all
> sundews is the most closely related to Dionaea? Think about that. Another
> peculiarity was that the flower opened for two days. The stamens did not
> ripen to release pollen until the second day. Unfortunately, the flower
> is not producing seed. Apparently the flowers are self-incompatible.

    I would not be quick to reach this conclusion. In the past many growers
have reported difficulty with getting Dionaea to produce good pollen. This
occurred in plants that were known to produce pollen and did so at later
times once again. I think these failures were attributed to weak lighting
and/or not so great temperatures.
Perhaps, since yours is the first to even get this far (Congratulations!!!),
and it appears that much closer to Dionaea, it suffers from the same
malaise.

Dave Evans