Re: Orchidariums

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:39:31 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:39:31 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orchidariums

<< I am sorely tempted to buy one of these to keep my Nepenthes yet before I
 spend the (for me) considerable funds to get one I'd like to know what CP
 growers think of them. There is a new, taller and deeper model which seems
 to fit my requirements for the two neps I have, (a 'Holland hybrid' which
 appears closely related to alata, and a growing bical I have affectionately
 named 'Orlok') with possible room for a third or fourth plant. Orchidariums
 appear to be perfect for what I want and while the Klimagrows are nice too,
 they are even more expensive. Are there any other manufacturers of these
 sort of environment-enhanced Wardian cases? Does anyone have plans for a
 build-it-yourself case that would be cheaper and better? Many thanks!
Jason Ashley>>

Hey Jason, I own an orchidarium. It is very nice, and goes well in my house.
For smaller scrambling nepenthes and small tc plants, it works very well, and
is very attractive. Fierce climbers and wicked scrambling climbers like
tobaica will fill the case up before long, and rooted cuttings of climbers
won;t take long before they reach the top of the case. For the money, my
homemade chambers made out 2x4's and 6 mil poly plastic with shop lights
allow me to grow much larger plants. The cost to build a 2'x4'x8' chamber
runs about $60 for the 2x4's, $15 for a 4'x8' piece of board I use as the
flooring, $15 for the poly plastic, and $15 for each shop light assembly. I
use 6 shop light assemblies on these chambers, so the lighting is just under
$100. Add a power strip and a 24 hour automatic timer, and for under $200 you
have a large grow chamber that nepenthes love. Your spouse or other person
giving you unsolicited advice will hate it. Indeed I think they're ugly, but
they work really well. If you're going for decor, go for the orchidarium.
Michael Catalani