Eggshells for carnivorous plants?

From: R B (eklaab@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 08:41:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:41:34 PDT
From: "R B" <eklaab@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Eggshells for carnivorous plants?

Here's an excerpt from the CP FAQ:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq382a.html

"Egg shells - This is something an old woman told me once. She said that the
secret to her beautiful plants was a biweekly shot of egg shell water.
Making egg shell water is a simple enough task. First, take the egg shells
of six eggs. Put them in an oven at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes. Take
them out and stuff them in to a 1 gallon water jug which may be capped. Fill
the jug with hot water and let it sit in the sun for about a week. After
that time, shake the jug vigorously and water your plants liberally.

As you may have guessed, the calcium from the shells probably leeches out
during the time in the water, thus producing growth spurts. I have tried
this myself except that I did this once a month during my normal
feeding/fertilizing time. I did notice a spike in growth and I have been
doing it ever since."

A couple of questions:

Has anyone else been feeding their CPs eggshells? Did you get comparable
results?

Besides calcium, is there some other nutrient that may be present in
eggshells that the CPs like?

Wouldn't it be easier to give the plants a calcium boost through something
like bone meal?

Ron

http://profiles.msn.com.