Holland Hybrid, Orchidarium Replacements, 2 Foot Long Shop Lights, and Slack's "Carnivorous Plants"

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 00:12:55 PDT

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 03:12:55 -0400
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Holland Hybrid, Orchidarium Replacements, 2 Foot Long Shop Lights, and Slack's "Carnivorous Plants"

My gracious thanks to all those who have given me insight with finding a
possible Orchidarium substitue and their experiences with these.

'Holland Hybrid'-- Came from Peter's and he told me that the supplier was
very secretive about the parentage of this plant. From what I can tell it
appears to be an alata with some rafflesiana and possibly even some maxima.
Not having anything but pictures to go by it's hard to tell.

Mike-- How do you seal the panes on your home-made cases? I know some
silicone-based caulkings create toxic fumes and I have to imagine your
Wardian cases are sealed somehow. The muffin fan thing I can do easily, I
work with computers for a living :).

Shop Lights-- I was in exactly the same boat. Both my neps are in a 20
gallon aquarium and need some room. When I bought the tank I went to the
local pet shop where they had 2-ft long shop lamps in the aquarium section.
What is very nice about them is that they come with glass bottoms to keep
the lamp from getting moisture in it. A variety of spectra are offered in
the bulb section but I found some very inexpensive daylight-spectrum plants
without difficulty. So if you have an aquarium supply or pet shop around
take a look. They should be very easy to find there.

"Carnivorous Plants"-- This new reprint is published by The MIT Press, ISBN:
0-262-69089-6, and I got mine from Amazon.com.

Thanks again for everyone's informative reply and I hope this information
will be of some use