Re: Cold treating Sarracenia seed

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 05:06:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:06:52 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cold treating Sarracenia seed

I'm certainly intrigued by the freezing method, and may try it. But I just
wanted to add my two cents to the usual refrigeration method... it
doesn't have to take up much room in your refrigerator if you put the
seeds in freezer type ziploc bags with some moist live spagnum moss
(Probably moistened dead spagnum moss would work, too). I put
each type of seed in its own labeled bag, then put all the bags into one
master bag, and stick it in a far corner of the fridge, out of the way. I
check on it periodically, to make sure the moss is staying moist (not
soggy - wring out excess moisture before using it). When I'm ready to
sow the seeds, I just carefully place the moss, seeds and all, on top of
the pot of peat/sand mixture. The live sphagnum is supposed to help
prevent damping off while the seedlings emerge, and seems to give
them a good growing environment. However, you MUST keep an
eye on it, and gently pull or cut strands out from time to time, because
it grows faster than the seedlings and can swallow them up. I've used
this method for two years, and it has worked quite well.

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis MO 63166-0299