Re: Mex Pinguicula - dry to wet

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 01:47:53 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:47:53 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mex Pinguicula - dry to wet

Miguel,

>Most Mexican Pinguicula species enjoy rather dry conditions during winter,
>having at this time succulent foliage.
>
>What is the best time to change from dry conditions to wet? Is it possible
>to change when the leaves start getting larger, but not carnivorous yet, or
>wait a few more weeks until carnivorous leaves are formed?

Just before the plant is ready to emerge from dormancy adventitious
roots will usually emerge from between the leaves. I use this as my cue
to start watering again. However, at this stage I only water enough to
allow the soil to become wet, letting the pot to dry between waterings.
Only when the larger carnivorous leaves emerge will I start watering
full scale.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk