Re: Howdy kids

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 16:16:42 PST

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:16:42 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Howdy kids

> >Soon we will have the fantastic new Drosera filiformis
> >that is solid red and doesn't go dormant (!) that was discovered in
Florida a
> >couple of years ago.
>
> That sounds interesting. How much will you be selling it for?
>
> Ron

    Actually, I have some cuttings from the Mendencino (sp?) bog. These are
supposedly the very same plants the Peter is talking about. I'm not sure
how to comfirm that these are the same, but those I saw Peter's wonderful
shop looked exactly the same. A lot more red and over all larger size of
the leaves. My plants have gone totally dormant and I'm sure these are not
the same as the D. filiformis from New Jersey. They have made really big,
and dark red, winter buds. Larger even than D. filiformis tracyi!. Some
people out in CA mentioned that they though these plants could be a result
of natural hybridization between D. filiformis filiformis and D. filiformis
tracyi in Florida. I doubt this as they don't really have the appearance
that D. * californica has, but I could be wrong. Is anyone on the list
familiar with the collection of red filiformis plants from Florida. Do you
know if these were transplanted or were they naturally occurring?

Dave Evans