Re: Does Ping. lusitanica need stratification?

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 08:18:08 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:18:08 PST
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Does Ping. lusitanica need stratification?

Hi all,

   Just my two cents, I've been growing P. lusitanica for a few
years now, and must say it's by far the easiest ping to cultivate,
with pretty little flowers and rosettes. Anyways, this plant
self-fertilizes and produces lots and lots of viable seed. I
just sprinkle it on a peat moss mix and keep it moist. Germination,
for me, has been very fast, with lots of seedlings popping up
within a week. Unlike others, I haven't found that germination
is staggered, instead they all germinate at once, and that's the
crop for the season.

   Make sure to collect seed. Even indoors under lights, these
plants die after setting seed for me.

Happy growing,

Chris