Re: More Bog Destruction in Florida

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 08:27:56 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:27:56 PST
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More Bog Destruction in Florida

Hi Filippo and others,

>Isn't there in the U.S. any authority who protects wildlife?
>In Italy wetlands are now finally considered as important places where to
>conserve biodiversity and are usually severely protected.
>Did you try to contact your authorities to ask them why the destruction was
>allowed?
>
>Regards
>
>Filippo Tassara
>Genoa, Italy

   Not to sound too bitter, but while there are wildlife authorities
in the US, their opinions are often overturned in favour of the
almighty buck. I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on the
US either, this happens in most countries around the world.

   Basically, bogs are worth a lot more as commercial developments,
housing lots, and votes in favour of the politician who pushes the
development through. Special interest groups have deep pockets
that the environmentalists don't. The preservation of ecologically
important areas is something that is often temporary, until a better
offer comes along, or until people stop raising their voices over
the area. A sad but true fact; people demand more development
space, and they will eventually have it.

   In my opinion, what we need to do is avoid butting heads with developers,
but instead work towards a feasible compromise.
Something that allows them to develop some of the area while
implementing a plan to save part of the bog or relocate the plants
to a suitable area nearby.

   I know GreenPeace would hate me for saying that, but unfortunate
as it may seem, it's the truth.

Ok, off my soapbox ;-)!

Chris