Re: bog destruction and action

From: psher001@odu.edu
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 07:26:58 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:26:58 -0500
From: psher001@odu.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: bog destruction and action

Hi Folks:

I found the comments interesting about how bogs are being destroyed and
what action needs to be taken. A particularly important point was the need
for collective action and outright purchase of bogs. You now have a
non-profit organization whose main purpose is to do just that. Meadowview
Biological Research Station (www.pitcherplant.org) is now an IRS certified
non-profit 501(c)(3) organization where you can make tax deductible
contributions. I urge you to consider making a donation to us as the year
draws to a close. We have several classes of sponsorship which you will
find on our web page. We are now negotiating the purchase of a 100 acre
tract in southern Virginia which will house the entire genome of Virginia
Sarracenia flava and longleaf pine. We will manage this as a fire
maintained ecosystem and will incorporate a number of other rare,
indigenous, pine savanna and seepage species on this preserve. We
eventually hope to expand our preserve system into other states and ensure
that critical pitcher plant
 habitat is not lost.

If you haven't already joined our organization I invite to become a sponsor
for FY2001. Don't forget that this will also entitle you to 50% off on
plants in our catalog. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
Director
Meadowview Biological