Re: Bog Destruction...

From: jkimmick@SONNET.UCLA.EDU
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 10:43:29 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:43:29 -0800
From: jkimmick@SONNET.UCLA.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bog Destruction...

     I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of the statements about
the role of government in habitat preservation.
     I think that there is a vital role for both government and private
conservatorship -- and in many cases even that combination will
not be enough to sustain many remaining wetlands. While bogs
could be made national monuments (I think this rather unlikely
politically), the 1906 Antiquities Act (which allows the President to
designate monuments) only permits that on public lands -- and if
the land isn't in the public domain, the money has to come from
somewhere (congress) to purchase it at 'market value' (whatever
that means). Needless to say, money for buying 'swamps' is not
currently a very high priority.
     Because wetlands (particularly southeastern US wetlands) are
in such dire straights, we should be happy to get help from
ANYWHERE -- government, private industry, non-profits, angels, or
little green aliens -- we're past the point we can be picky!
        I'd like to know how CP conservation efforts are going in other
countries as well!

James Kimmick