N. Stenophylla sprouting?

From: Steve Klitzing (starbirdcom@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 08:55:53 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:55:53 -0800
From: "Steve Klitzing" <starbirdcom@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. Stenophylla sprouting?

Hi all:

I'm watching the progress of the germination of the Nepenthes seeds I
acquired from the ICPS. So far, no sprouting. It's been about 5-6 weeks.
However, I am now noticing that all the N. Stenophylla seeds look like they
have a small swollen green area in the middle of them. I'm not sure if this
is a sign of germination, but they were not green in the middle a week ago.
So, I'm hoping this will be a good germination and not fungus. There
doesn't appear to be a fungus problem with them, and I haven't seen any of
the white hairy stuff that usually causes problems. As for the other N.
seeds, nothing yet, not even green in the middle. Also, the Drosera seed is
taking it's time. Only D. Capensis has sprouted. D. Rotundifolia is not
doing anything yet. And the Darlintonia is not doing anything, either. So,
I guess it's going to take some time. I'm doing window sill germination, on
an east window, with indirect daytime light, inside small clear jars with
clear tops. I noticed that, at first, a little green slime had appeared
early in the process. But, it disappeared after the second week, most
likely because of decent light. And, the sealed jars have kept the humidity
at 100 percent. Temps on the sill are moderate, neither cold nor hot. This
time, seed is surface-sown (I thought I'd give it one more try). It's been
a long time since I tried to sprout Nepenthes, so, I'm hoping for some
little green leaves.

---Steve Klitzing