Re: S. flava var flava versus S. flava var rugelii

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 18:56:03 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:56:03 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. flava var flava versus S. flava var rugelii

Dear Rich,

    I think people are, in general, fairly confused with the varieties of S.
flava. My friend Tom can not keep them straight either. This is caused by
the fact that most S. flava plants are hybrids of these varieties and so
have features of an intermediate (can be read as 'confusing') sort. _S.
flava rugelii_ has a 'cut-throat' red blotch. The red mark is not caused by
veining, not that I can see anyway. Infact you can still see this mark on
hybrids involving rugelii, but the mark can be very faded and obscured (but
still well defined) by green or other red veins. _S. flava flava_ does
indeed have "variably prominent red venation". That means if you find a S.
flava that has some veins, but doesn't fit any of the other varieties'
characteristics (or intermediate hybrids of these varieties) you have S.
flava flava. If you find a plant that has a solid red throat blotch and no
veins, you have _S. flava rugelii_ If you find a S. flava which has a solid
red throat blotch and red veins, you'll have to carefully consider the
pattern of these veins to decide if you have _S. flava rugelii_ * _S.flava
flava_ or _S. flava rugelii_ * S. flava someothervariety.
    Oh, if you have a non-veined S. flava that has no throat blotch (no
red), you have _S. flava maxima_.
    S. flava flava often has a weak diamond shaped red mark on the throat,
caused by a whole bunch of red veins merging at that point. _S. flava
rubricorpa_ often has the same mark, but the veining on the outside of the
pitcher continues to get thicker until it becomes solid red as you move down
from the peristome.
    I have a plant which I inbred and it produced three groups of seedlings.
One group appears to be just about pure _S. flava rubricorpa_. The second,
appears to be _S. flava flava_ and the third seems to be a mix of _S. flava
maxima_ and S. flava flava and S. flava rugelii. Most of the time it's not
easy to separate individaul plants into the distinct varieties.
    _S. flava ornata_ often has a larger lid, but I'm not sure if it's
distinctive.

> S. flava var rugelii has no pigmented venation whereas S. flava var flava
> has "variably prominent red venation " (but presumably cannot vary to the
> point of not visible)

    Right, at that point it becomes S. flava maxima.

Dave Evans