Re: Nepenthes Wilt

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 08:18:02 PST

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:18:02 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Wilt

<< I bought an N. madagascariensis a few months ago, and although they plant
has
 not been growing at all, it has been surviving. I moved the plant from the
 plastic bag that I had originally kept it in and put it in a ten gallon tank
 with some other plants. Over the night, the humidity accidentally dropped
 40%. Now, the only new growth on the plant is wilting and the older growth
 has started to dry out and curl up. What can I do to save my plant?
Michael
 C. >>

If the plant hasn't been growing, that could be a sign of underdeveloped or
aborted roots. Another problem could be that the soil around the roots is
very dry, which causes the water to drain away from the roots, which keep the
root from receiving much water. Peat/sand mixes are very bad about this.
Although the soil on the top looks moist, the soil around the roots can be
hard like concrete. Long fiber sphagnum (which is the usual soil for retail
plants) can also dry out around the roots. Once sphanum (and peat) dries out,
its difficult to rewet, and just watering the plant usually wont do it. I
would advise to soak the pot for about 30 minutes so that the soil can
totally re-wet itself, and then put the plant back into its own plastic bag.
If that was the problem, that should fix it. If it wasnt the problem, it wont
hurt. Even with soil mosture problems or lack of roots, most nepenthes can
live for months if they are placed in plastic bag. Otherwise, it doesn't
make sense that the plant would wilt and curl up after one night at 40%.....

Michael Catalani