Re: Sarracenia flava varieties

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 20:55:43 PST

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:55:43 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia flava varieties

Dear Barry,

> I encourage you to consider the pure varietal specimen (i.e. a "pure"
> S. flava var. rubricorporea) to be largely fictional.

    It would not do to promote this idea, since var. rubricorpora is really
for real! Just not seen much in cultivation... There are indeed at least
several stretches of S. flava where this variety is the largest percent of
S. flava present, sometimes the only variety present.

> Many plants you will
> find in the wild (and certainly those in collections) tend to be a mix of
> varietal types. I am perfectly happy to look at a specimen and say, "Uhh,
> looks like mostly var. flava, with a little var. ornata too.

    Much better idea to promote!

Dave Evans