Re: Pings and Combat!

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 12:13:32 PST

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:13:32 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pings and Combat!

Hey kids, Peter here at California Carnivores:
     I'm not sure why folks are having trouble with Ping flowers drying up
before they bloom. It is true that our Pings here at the nursery are starting
up their peak flowering time which will last until May or so. Some pointers,
which are also in my book The Savage Garden: Mexican Pings are not tropical,
they are subtropical, and can experience rather chilly temperatures,
especially in the mountains of Mexico. Our plants hit lows in the 40s in
winter, and highs are rarely much over 72 F at this time of year, and often
chillier. I also fertilize them lightly with Epiphytes Delight about every
other week by sprinkling the leaves. As succulent growth commenses, usually
about now and in January, we let the water trays dry out and keep the soil
barely dampish, although they may also see complete drying out if the type of
plant forms a really tight succulent, like hybrids with P. gypsicola do. If
you grow your plants in tanks, reduce the photo period to about 10 hours a
day in winter, increasing to 14 to 16 hours in high summer. The plants enjoy
it coolish almost year round. We lost many of our collection in the July
heatwave when greenhouse temperatures hit nearly 120 F (it was 114 F
outdoors). Many turned to mush within a couple of weeks.
     In other news, I saw in the TV Guide (an American magazine about
television) that actor Rick Jason took his own life in October. He starred in
the 1960s TV show Combat!, among other things. He grew some carnivores and
loved exotic plants and animals. His favorite was S. x Judith Hindle. We
exchanged books last summer (he had just published his autobiography, which I
enjoyed reading). Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this for those "old
timers" who may remember him. He was 77.
    Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!