Re: communis VS roraimae

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 08:35:34 PST

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:35:34 -0500
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: communis VS roraimae

> Hey Peter,
>
> > Hey folks, Peter here at California Carnivores again: I received a call
> from
> > the Imax motion picture company today. They are filming a documentary on
> the
> > tepui mountains about biodiversity, and the studios in England need some
> > samples of Drosera communis by next week. Of course they'll pay for the
> > plants and I guess your name could appear on the credits. If you are in
> > England and can help provide several plants for closeup photography,
> contact
> > Jennifer Gatien at jgatien@primesco.com. She is in Montreal and her
> number
> > is (514) 874-955l. Peter
>
> Why D.communis??? This species is rare in the tepuy region.
> D.roraimae is much more representative of the area. Not to mention that
they
> are far more likely to find someone in England (or anywhere) who grows
> healthy D.roraimae than someone who has D.communis (a much more difficult
> plant to grow)....
>

> Good luck!
>
> Fernando Rivadavia
> Sao Paulo, Brazil

I too though that it was odd they would want communis instead of roraimae.
>From photos and videos I have seen, roraimae grows all over the place down
there but communis is a rare occurance.
One correction though, I'm not so sure roraimae is easier to grow than
communis - I grow multiple forms of each and they all grow well for me but
would assume that roraimae would be harder because they would be less
tolerant of higher temperatures.

sundewmatt