Re: Nepenthes Soil

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 17:42:13 PST

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:42:13 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Soil

> I have seen many recipes for Nepenthes soil, but I was wondering if anyone
> has ever tried growing Nepenthes in pure Long-Fibered Sphagnum. This
recipe
> seems like it would work since it is very close to the acid rich
environment
> that they grow in in the jungle. Has anyone ever tried this as a medium?
> am looking for a very simple soil recipe that I can use with all my
Nepenthes
> and this one seems to make sense since it holds water well and is very
open.
> I am looking for any simple recipes that you have to offer. Thanks.

    Nepenthes tend to like a bit more inorganic materials than what Sphagnum
offers. There are a few species that grow better in Sphagnum, N. muluensis
is one I'm told. However, this could just be due to conditions particular
to that grower.
    Over the long term, Sphagnum will probably decline and start to invite
rot. Or you could replace it often. I would use the moss for rooting
cuttings and baby plants. Adult Nepenthes often like somewhat drier soil
conditions than Sphagnum moss can do well in.
    Most Neps can be grown on rocks! But I don't see this as very practical
for the average grower. I'm under the impression these soils hold very
little water and can dry out quickly. Soil which has some peatmoss added to
it can take a couple days before you have to water again.
    The soil I use isn't simple though, perhaps some else has a one or two
ingredient soil?

Dave Evans