Nepenthes in Sphagnum

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 05:11:13 PST

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:11:13 -0500
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes in Sphagnum

Hello,
FWIW I grow many species of Nepenthes in pure Long fiber Sphagnum. The pH is
low, and if watered with low pH, mineral free water, it _grows_. I have
read many postings on this list of people having difficulty with species
such as N. merrilliana, N. madagascariensis, N. bicalcarata ... If not
overwatered or underwatered, and in the proper lighting, temperature and
humidity range these and other "difficult" species are very prolific in
culture, using Sphagnum. If Sphagnum moss is kept wet and watered with high
nutrient, high pH water, it will turn into a slimy mess. It also breaks down
if it becomes extreemly dry. There are species that do not grow well in
Sphagnum, N. truncata, N. belli, and probably many others I have not grown.
I repot on a yearly basis, mainly because the plants grow so large they need
repoting. I believe the "safest" mixes are the ones using more of an Orchid
type mix, but the plants will grow _much_ more slowly. If in doubt, I find
live Sphagnum does well as a top dressing, if the plant prefers one mix over
the other, it will simply root into the prefered mix. I know "in the wild"
these plants do not grow in Sphagnum, but in horticulture, the conditions
are in no way similar to wild conditions. These plants do not grow in pots
"in the wild" no matter how many pots you tempt them with. Of course this is
in my _very_ limited experience, don't take me too seriously.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl. USA
>Topic No. 11
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:49:29 EST
>From: MCliff428@aol.com
>To: cp@opus.labs.agilent.com
>Subject: Nepenthes Soil
>

>I have seen many recipes for Nepenthes soil, but I was wondering if anyone
>has ever tried growing Nepenthes in pure Long-Fibered Sphagnum. This
recipe
>seems like it would work since it is very close to the acid rich
environment
>that they grow in in the jungle. Has anyone ever tried this as a medium?
>am looking for a very simple soil recipe that I can use with all my
Nepenthes