Re: Sterile Nepenthes Hybrids

From: Borneo Exotics (borneo@sri.lanka.net)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 03:42:22 PST

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:42:22 +0000
From: Borneo Exotics <borneo@sri.lanka.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sterile Nepenthes Hybrids

Hello Dave,

Charles just wrote and mentioned that passage in his book, and he pointed
out that he was certainly _not_ refering to Nepenthes in that instance, but
plants in general so your interpretation is quite correct.

Charlie also mentioned that to the best of his knowledge no-one has ever
succeeded in making a cross involving N. pervillei. I didn't know this and
am wondering why it should be. Perhaps it doesn't flower readily in
cultivation, or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it has
been geographically isolated from all other Nepenthes for so long. Can
anyone can shed light on this? Has anyone reading this had a specimen
flower and _failed_ to cross it? If it's to do with the geographical
isolation of that species, then I'm curious as to whether N. distillatoria
might also share this same 'monogomous' property. Arthur Lauffenburger's
excellent 'Guide to Nepenthes Hybrids' lists several N. distillatoria
crosses made between I think, 1868 and 1955, but he also mentions that N.
distillatoria was often confused with other species in cultivation, such as
N. hirsuta and N. gracilis. From what I've seen and heard about 'N.
distillatoria' in private collections in recent years, that may very well
have been the case.

There are a bunch of mature N. distillatoria growing about an hours drive
from here. They almost always seem to be in flower, so if anyone has some
spare pollen they can send, I'll sally forth with a paintbrush and and some
stockings (which always attracts curious stares from the local villagers!).
 Any resultant seed will be shared of course.

Best regards,

Rob Cantley
Borneo Exotics

<http://www.borneoexotics.com>