Mulching a bog long-term and the wellness of the plants

From: Michael Pagoulatos (michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 08:55:36 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:55:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Pagoulatos <michaelpagoulatos@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mulching a bog long-term and the wellness of the plants

In the last few days we have had sleet- and ice-storms in North Texas, with
temperatures in the low 20s. In anticipation of this weather, I covered my
outdoor bogs with a one-foot-thick layer of oak-tree leaves/ pine-tree needles
combo. I wasn't really worried about the Saraccenias, but it worked very well
in keeping the more sensitive Droseras in warmer temperatures (and alive)!

I am considering leaving the protective layer on the bogs throughout the
winter.
My question is: Will that cause too much moisture to be "trapped" close to the
medium surface, and would that cause plants to rot? Would warmer days (say in
the 50s) contribute to that?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this matter.

Michael Pagoulatos

http://shopping.yahoo.com/