re: Mites & Fungi

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 09:55:57 PST

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:55:57 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Mites & Fungi

>I recently remembered an orchid growers trick for fungi and another for
spider mites. I have not tested these on cp's because, knock on wood, I
have not had the need. Garlic is a great bacteriacide and fungicide. Make
tea with one crushed garlic clove in about a pint and a half of water.
Boil
for a bit and cool and use to water the plant. For mites water your plant
through and then place in a clear plastic bag and make a sealed tent.
Leave
for a few days. Happy growing.
Sylvia

Hi CPers,
Another trick that might be fun to try is tobacco extract and make use of
all the cigarette butts littering the street. Just an off the wall
idea:-) One trick I have tried is Ammonia vapors. I have gotten VFTs with
practically immortal mites on them in the past. Pest strips,
insecticides, and drowning proved ineffective. One day while cleaning
with household Ammonia I got an idea; suffocate the buggers! I took a
dormant flytrap which was covered with the dreaded mites and put it in a
small terrarium with a little Ammonia poured on the floor. After just 5
minutes I looked in on the plant and the leaves were totally black. After
a few days all the leaves turned to black goop and sloughed off, ..no
more mites!! Later, new leaves sprouted from below ground and now the
plant is big again with no sign of mites. This trick should also work for
Drosera petiolaris or whatever other plant you have that has dormant
underground growth.
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California